How we use your data
The Oil & Gas Technology Centre is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The Oil & Gas Technology Centre may change this policy from time to time. If we do make any updates, registered users will be sent an email with a link to the revised terms and conditions. This policy is effective from April 2018.
How we collect data
We may collect personal information from the following general sources:
- from you directly, when we meet in a business context (face to face, attendance at our events, email, mail or phone);
- from data that you provide online via our website data collection forms;
- from your interaction with and use of our online services including the OGTC website, and Twitter and LinkedIn feeds;
- we may use credit reference agencies to collect financial information about organisations or directors that we provide funding to.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title;
- the organisation you work for or are associated with;
- contact information including email address;
- demographic information such as address, postcode, preferences and interests
- your interaction with us including frequency and timing of visits to the OGTC.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- internal record keeping;
- to perform and improve services;
- from time to time, we may also use your information to contact you to take part in our research in relation to our projects or work themes. We may contact you by email, phone or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests;
- when we are reviewing a project or organisation for funding, we may use credit reference agencies to review information on organisations and their directors;
- to respond to any queries or questions submitted via the website, email, telephone or mail;
- to help us with more understanding about how our website is used; and
- for all other purposes consistent with the proper performance of our operations and services.
Should we require to process your personal information for any purposes not listed above, we will notify you in advance of doing so.
If you fail to provide us certain information when requested, we may not be able to perform a service or contract entered into with you, or we may be prevented from complying with our legal obligations (such as to ensure the health and safety of our visitors).
A range of subscription email services are available from the Oil & Gas Technology Centre website. You will receive emails only from those services that you have chosen to register with. As part of the registration process, the Oil & Gas Technology Centre will seek your consent to process your personal data in order for the Oil & Gas Technology Centre to be able to provide the services. Each message originating from the Oil & Gas Technology Centre subscription service will include a prominent link to unsubscribe from that or any other message subscription you currently have.
What are the legal grounds for our processing of your personal information?
Where we have entered into, or are taking steps to enter into, a contract (including NDA) with you or your organisation.
Where the processing is required to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations.
For those persons who we actively deal with and require to process their data outside of a contract (government officials, academics, etc), we will do so for our legitimate interests as listed above under the section entitled “What we do with the information we gather”.
Where you have provided your consent to us to process your personal data for specific purposes, including subscriptions to information services.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of this website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
For how long is your personal information retained by us?
Unless we explain otherwise to you, we’ll hold your personal information based on the following criteria:
- For as long as we have reasonable business needs, such as managing our relationship with you and managing our operations
- For as long as we provide goods and/or services to you and then for as long as someone could bring a claim against us; and/or
- Retention periods in line with legal and regulatory requirements or guidance.
What are your rights under data protection laws?
Here is a list of the rights that all individuals have under data protection laws. They don’t apply in all circumstances. If you wish to exercise any of them, we’ll explain at that time if they are engaged or not. The right of data portability is only relevant from 25 May 2018.
- The right to request access to your personal information, be informed about the processing of your personal information and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you
- The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed
- The right to object to processing of your personal information
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information erased (the “right to be forgotten”)
- The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information (“data portability”)
- The right to withdraw your consent to processing (if consent is relied upon by us to process the personal data)
- Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, you can contact us using the details below.
At all times, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office which enforces data protection laws: https://ico.org.uk/.
Controlling your personal information
We will never sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your explicit permission or are required by law to do so.
Sharing your personal information
The information you provide to us will be treated by us as confidential and will be processed only by our employees within the UK/EEA. We may disclose your information to other third parties who act for us for the purposes set out in this notice or for purposes approved by you.
Inaccurate personal information
If you believe any data we hold about you to be inaccurate or out of date, please get in touch with us as soon as possible using the contact details below.
Should you wish to contact us for any reason listed within this policy, including if you wish to exercise any of your rights, or if you have any questions or concerns about the policy, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
The Oil & Gas Technology Centre
20 Queens Road